Simple Cauliflower Cheese
Cauliflower is now in season and this very simple and tasty recipe makes perfect use of this most delicious of crops.
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into large florets
- 40g/1½oz butter
- 40g/1½oz plain flour
- 400ml/14fl oz milk
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 100g/3½oz mature cheddar, grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Wash the cauliflower thoroughly and place in a large saucepan of salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 3–5 minutes, until the cauliflower is almost tender, but still fairly firm. Tip into a colander and drain.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour, then cook over a gentle heat for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the milk, a little at a time, stirring well between each addition. Return the pan to a medium heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the mustard and two thirds of the cheese.
- Meanwhile, arrange the cauliflower in an ovenproof baking dish. Carefully pour over the sauce, ensuring the cauliflower is completely covered. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese then place the entire in the oven and bake for 20–25 minutes, until the top is golden and bubbling.